Everyday we go to school and listen to the teacher, and the teacher will ask us some questions. Sometimes, the classmates will ask your opinions of the work of the class. When you are telling others in the class what you have found out about these topics, remember that they must be able to hear what you are saying. You are not taking part in a family conversation or having a chat(闲谈)with friends—you are in a slightly unnatural situation where a large group of people will remain silent, waiting to hear what you have to say. You must speak so that they can hear you—loudly enough and clearly enough but without trying to shout of appearing to force yourself.
Remember, too, that it is the same if you are called to an interview whether it is with a professor of your school or a government official who might meet you. The person you are seeing will try to put you at your ease(轻松)but the situation is somewhat(一点儿)different from that of an ordinary conversation. You must take special care that you can be heard.
1. When you speak to the class, you should speak ________.
A. as loudly as possible
B. in a low voice
2. Usually, when you speak to the class, the class is __________.
A. noisy B. quiet C. having a rest D. serious
3. The situation in the class is ________ that in your house.
A. not very different from
B. sometimes the same as
C. sometimes not the same as
D. not the same as
4. If you are having a conversation with an official, the most important thing for you is _______.
A. to show your ability
B. to be very gentle
C. to make sure that you can be heard
D. to put the official at ease
5. The main idea of this passage is ________.
A. that we must use different ways at different situations
B. that we must speak loudly
C. that we must keep silent at any time
D. that we must talk with the class.
1. C 细节理解题。根据文章第一段中的：You must speak so that they can hear you—loudly enough and clearly enough but without trying to shout or appearing to force yourself. 可以看出C项为正确答案，而A、B、D三项均与这句话意义不符，可排除。
2. B 细节理解题。从文中的…where a large group of people will remain silent，可见B项为正确答案。 这里的silent与选项中的quiet同义，均意为“安静”。
3. D 事实判断题。文章第一段告诉我们：在班上讲话不同于在家中谈话或闲聊，当有一大群人安静下来，等待你的讲话时，你会感到有点不自然，由此可见，D项为最佳选项。
4. C 文章最后一句：You must take special care that you can be heard.你应特别注意你会被别人听到。很清楚地交代了答案应选C项。这里take special care意为“特别注意，特别重视”。
5. A 纵观全文，不难得出这样一个结论：在不同的场合应采取不同的说话方式，A项正有此意，故选之。